VOLUNTEER: SENIOR ATTORNEYS
Senior Attorney's are the backbone of the Trial by Peers program. Senior attorneys work closely with the peer counselors giving them guidance throughout each case while ensuring a competent hearing and understanding of the justice process.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be a mentor to peer counselors and facilitate their learning of the legal system
- Support peer counselors in preparing cases for trial.
- Support peer counselors in areas of interviewing witnesses, anticipating the opposing witnesses' testimony, preparing opening and closing statements, making recommendations for sentencing etc.
- Attend court date volunteered for and be available to assist peer counselor through the hearing.
- Be able to commit a minimum of one hour (either via meeting in person/phone/ email) preparing your peer counselors for their cases prior to court date.
- Facilitate one Continuing Legal Education (CLE) class per year and assist peer counselors with expanding their legal education.
- Contact CCLF staff if you have not heard from your peer counselors one week prior to the court date.
- Participate in Trial By Peers public events i.e. mock trials, peer counselor graduation etc.
- Volunteer for a minimum of one court date per quarter (average of four cases per court date). Hearings are held on the third Monday of each month at Family Courts (601 N. Pecos St) from 5:30- 7:00pm. Additional court dates will be scheduled at other locations depending on when a Judge has donated their time and courtroom.
- Commit to a minimum of one hour to prepare peer counselors for cases prior to hearing.
- Volunteer to facilitate a minimum of one CLE class per year. CLE classes are held on the first Tuesday of every month (except in June-August) at the State Bar of Nevada from 6:00-7:30pm.
- Attend a minimum of three Trial By Peers Committee meetings per year. Meetings are held quarterly on the last Tuesday of each month from 12:00-1:00pm at the CCLF office.